The Importance of Personal Hygiene
Today’s busy times and changing climatic conditions demand good personal hygiene for health and social reasons. You can stave off many infections and illnesses by keeping the hands and body clean. Personal hygiene benefits not just your health, but has a positive impact on your family, too.
It also has its own social benefits. Since it involves caring for your body and keeping it clean, it reduces the chances of skin infections and body odor, which can be embarrassing at work or at school.
What does a good personal hygiene routine look like?
A good personal hygiene routine is important – we all know that. But how do we begin to have one? To help you, we’ve noted down some of the daily steps you can take to stay clean and defeat any illness-causing and odor-causing germs on your body.
The best place to start is the hands. We are constantly using our hands all through the day. We touch lots of different surfaces, greet people, eat our meals, type at work or play at school. So it is hardly surprising that our hands are the biggest carriers of germs.
Making sure you and your family practice good daily hand hygiene is one of the best ways to prevent the transfer and spread of illnesses such as coughs, colds, the flu and gastroenteritis. All of these spread through poor hand hygiene. You can stop the spread of illness-causing germs by washing your hands regularly with water and Dettol Original Liquid Hand Wash. You must always wash your hands:
- Before cooking or eating food
- Before picking up an infant
- After using the restroom
- After coughing or sneezing in the hands, or being around someone who is ill
- After handling pets
Practicing good oral hygiene daily keeps away gum disease, tooth decay and many infections. Remember to:
- Make sure you and your loved ones brush their teeth twice a day. Brushing before bed is crucial
- Floss every day before brushing the teeth
- Keep your tooth brush in a clean and dry place and replace it regularly (especially after illness)
Do have a shower or bath every day using warm water and soap. It is a good idea to shower twice a day if the weather is warm and muggy. Daily washing is an important part of personal hygiene so that:
- Washing with soap such as Dettol Bar Soap and warm water prevents body odor by killing the odor-causing bacteria on the skin.
- Those suffering from skin infections can reduce the problem by carefully washing and drying the affected areas daily
- Washing your hair at least once a week using shampoo and conditioner keeps the hair clean and free of head lice.
- After a long day out of doors, hop into a warm bath and use a soap like Dettol Gold Bar Soap to clean the harmful germs off your body.
Just as germs and dirt can build up on the skin, they can cling to the clothes. Your personal hygiene also involves washing your clothes regularly. Wash and change your clothes frequently, especially if you or a family member have been unwell. Your clothes must be completely rid of germs – add Dettol Antiseptic Liquid to your laundry to eliminate any stubborn germs.
Personal hygiene is not difficult, and it can be made easy with regular practice, so that it becomes a habit.