Bacteria and Viruses
Bacteria and viruses are a part of daily life. We share our world with many germs – also known as microscopic organisms, or pathogens. They’re not always harmful. But some germs can enter our bodies, causing illness and infection. It’s helpful to understand more about how germs spread, and how to tackle them to keep safe. Let’s look at how Dettol can help you stay healthy and clean.
What are the most common bacteria and viruses?
A very common bacteria is the Salmonella bacteria – they cause food poisoning. Another very common virus pathogens is Rhinovirus. It’s responsible for the common cold infection
How are bacteria and viruses spread?
Bacteria thrive in moist environments, while viruses (more microscopic pathogens) need a living host (humans and/or animals) in order reproduce. In the right environment, some germs can spread quickly. There are plenty of steps you can take, with Dettol’s support, to minimize their spread and harmful effects.
Bacteria can appear in many different surfaces in your home that you regularly touch. Think kitchen worktops, doorknobs, taps, TV remotes and telephones. Some areas in your home are hygienic hot spots for bacteria, your bathroom in particular.
Remember, you can pick up bacteria when you’re out and about and bring them back home with you. Bacteria and viruses can attach to clothing, or your hands after you’ve touched contaminated surfaces. We want to avoid inviting those unwanted guests into your home.
Bacteria can live on pets as well as humans, and they can be brought into your home. They can thrive in contaminated food and drinks, used tissues, soiled nappies, and cloths used for cleaning.
How to protect yourself from bacteria and viruses?
Here are some top tips.
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with Dettol Antibacterial Liquid Hand Wash or Dettol Antibacterial Soap. You can also opt for Dettol Liquid Hand Sanitizer when you are out of home to stop the spread of germs.
- Always wash hands when you come in from the outside, when you visit the toilet, before you prepare food, if you have handled soiled nappies, tissues or laundry, where germs can spread.
- Disinfect your home surfaces frequently with Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleaner.
- Keep food preparation surfaces clean and disinfected. After preparing food (especially raw meat, fish or eggs) use Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleaner on any kitchen surfaces you’ve used. Clean dirty utensils, cutlery and crockery with hot water and dish soap.
- Pay particular attention to surfaces in bathrooms, such as sinks, taps, toilets. Use Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleaner to make sure your surfaces are germ free.
- Take extra care if anyone in the family is sick. Make sure they use tissues and discard them in the dustbin immediately after use and they use Dettol Liquid Hand Sanitizer regularly. Avoid sharing household items such as towels or kitchenware. Disinfect areas they have been in with Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleaner.
- Did you know germs can spread in your laundry? Remove 99.9% of bacteria by adding a capful of Dettol Antiseptic Liquid.