The body sweats in warm weather and produces an unpleasant smell. It can happen more to some people than others, and it is an embarrassing condition. It occurs more in the hot summer months when we and our families are more active in the sunshine. The extra heat makes the skin sweat more, resulting in a higher chance of body odour. But body odour can easily be managed as part of your daily personal hygiene routine.
What causes body odour?
The skin sweats to maintain the body’s temperature and cool down the system. The rising temperature activates the millions of sweat glands present in the skin. These sweat glands release excess water from the body through the skin’s surface. Thus, the heat from the body evaporates the sweat, thus causing an overall cooling sensations that restores body temperature when you get warm.
There are about four million sweat glands in the human skin, but the sweat produced from them is not foul smelling. The odour is caused by skin bacteria that breeds using the acids in the sweat. These bacteria can multiply rapidly, hence it is important to have a good daily personal hygiene routine to reduce and prevent body odour, especially during the balmy summer months.
How can I manage body odour?
Managing body odour is easy if you can keep the body fresh and the sweat-prone areas clean. This is what you can do:
- Shower daily. A cold or warm water bath daily with an antibacterial soap kills the bacteria on the skin, thus the body odour is automatically eliminated. You could shower twice a day if the day is unusually warm or if you have been playing outside and are sweatier than usual. You can feel and smell fresh in hot weather by using Dettol Cool Bar Soap.
- Wash your armpits and groin. Skin bacteria thrives in places where the sweat collects, and it multiplies rapidly on the protein and fatty acids produced by the apocrine sweat glands. Wash and clean your armpits and groin areas which can be hotspots for body odour-causing bacteria. You can keep these areas clean and fresh with Dettol Skincare Bar Soap.
- Use a clean, dry towel. Dry your skin thoroughly after your bath with a clean towel. Bacteria find it hard to breed on dry skin.
- Apply deodorant. Use a deodorant or antiperspirant in your armpits after your shower so that you will smell fresh through the day.
- Wear lighter fibres. Clothes made of natural fibres such as cotton help the skin breathe and let the sweat evaporate much faster.
- Wash your used clothes. Bacteria breed on both sweaty skin and clothes, so make sure to change your used clothes and wash them at once. Do not wear a used pair of socks without washing – the feet get really sweaty in the summer. Try adding Dettol Antiseptic Liquid to your laundry load to kill any germs on your clothes.
Stop letting body odour be a problem for you and your family this summer. Keep yourself and your loved ones fresh and clean with a little extra help from Dettol soaps to keep the sweat smells at bay. Dettol’s bar soaps can keep your body clean and smelling fresh even in the harshest summer months.